August 9, 2008

One Hundred and Forty-Four Hours!


“Traveling is not just seeing the new; it is also leaving behind. Not just opening doors; also closing them behind you, never to return. But the place you have left forever is always there for you to see whenever you shut your eyes.”


Good-byes have officially started...and they're tough! This past week was my last week working, and some of the families I've been working with for over a year and a half. I love these kids--they're like family, and it was very hard to leave them. I miss them already!

Needless to say, it's been quite the emotional week! Only six days to go, and I still have a million things to do...here's the update!

1. Visa: Went to the appointment on Wednesday and quickly found out that they had forgotten to put my name down on the list. Thankfully, however, I had showed up a half an hour early, and they were able to take me right then--the only opening they had that day. I went in and spent about an hour with a woman named Sila (which, btw, is such a beautiful name!), and we discussed pretty much everything. I had all the necessary documents, and after answering all her questions, I handed her $121.58, and she told me I'd have a visa in about 2 months. Great news! When I'm approved, I'll just have to send my passport back to the consulate, and they'll stamp my visa in and send it back. When I was there though, Sila mentioned having to get a Residency card...guess this is a process that may never end!

2. Moola: Big, big thank you to the people who have committed to monthly pledges! Your gifts are so appreciated!! I've re-crunched the numbers, and as of today, I am still in need of about $2000 in pledges. So we're definitely getting there! It's been less than 2 months, and we've raised $6000--you all totally rock :)

3. Luggage: Okay, so this isn't really an update--more of just a huge annoyance to me! I just found out that Lufthansa has changed their luggage restrictions for international flights. Now, I can only take a TOTAL weight of 44 pounds. Forty-four pounds for one full year's worth of stuff. So, naturally, I looked into what it would cost to check two forty-four pound bags, and was shocked to find out that they charge 10 euros per kilo I'm over. So for 44 lbs (20 kilos) at roughly 17 dollars per kilo, it would be $340 for an extra suitcase! I've also looked into shipping through UPS, FED EX, DHL, etc., but they're all very expensive too (up to $1,000 for one 50 lb. box!). I've even looked into shipping some boxes by boat...but it's all very complicated with customs. I might give in and pay about $150 to ship one box through the USPS, but I'm still not sure about that. Basically, I'll probably be living on two outfits for a year :( Oh, my poor shoes!

I cannot believe that I'm leaving in just 6 days...144 hours! I really shouldn't have converted it into hours, as that just makes me panic a bit more! I'm so excited, but very overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done in the next (gulp!) 144 hours, so please, prayers would be nice!

Love,
Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment