August 24, 2008

Frankfurt International Airport


Ooops! I wrote this in the airport in Frankfurt, Germany, and I meant to post it here, but I guess I forgot. It's kind of late, but I'm going to post it anyways, since everyone keeps asking how my luggage situation turned out!!

Well, it’s 2:24 am my time, and I’m sitting in the Frankfurt Airport. Everyone around me is perky and awake--it is after all 8:24 here--but I’m sleepy! I’m waiting for Gina--my new flat-mate and fellow teacher--to join me, and then we’ll make our way to our connecting flight that will take us to Lisbon. I wanted to write before I got swept up in the whole I’m-in-Portugal thing, because I don’t want to forget the small miracles that just took place!

In my last post, I mentioned Lufthansa’s new luggage restrictions--a whopping 44 pounds worth of luggage per person. I was struggling about how to send some of my belongings to Portugal, and everything was just so expensive! Just when I had resolved to suck it up and send one box through the USPS, which would have been about $170, Gina e-mailed me. The church in Cascais has assigned each new teacher a sponsor to help us acclimate to Portugal, and Gina’s sponsors are actually US soldiers who are based here in Portugal. They offered to let us send our bags to them, as it may be less expensive since it’s sent in the military mail. When I took two 30 pound boxes to the post office to send them, it cost me a total of $33. How amazing is that!! I may not get those boxes for a month or two, but I just packed them with my winter things anyway. ****Update, I already got them!****

Even though I was able to send some things ahead, I still found myself frantically repacking my suitcase about a half hour before I needed to leave for the airport. I was 10 pounds overweight in my checked luggage, and my carry-on bag was already bulging. My father told me to sit down, and he repacked it and made it work. I was still a bit nervous though because my carry-on bag seemed very, very full.

I got to the airport about 2 1/2 hours early, and it took nearly 45 minutes to check-in. The man in front of me went to the desk, where I heard the attendant say that he could not check in yet since his flight didn’t leave until 5:40 pm. That was exactly when my flight left, but the attendant who helped me just let me go ahead. (Yay for not having to wait in that long line--again!) She took my 15 kilos of luggage and checked it, and then gave me a special sticker okaying my carry-on bag.

Security took another 40 minutes, so it was quite a long trek before I actually got to sit down and take a breather. After another small wait, they started boarding my flight. I muttered a prayer that God would give me favor and a very strong person sitting next me to lift my carry-on bag up and down (no joke, this thing weighs about 80 pounds!). I was still nervous, because even though I had my little approved sticker, my carry-on just looked sooo full.

I was right to be nervous! As soon as they scanned my ticket, and I started down the gang way, a woman called me back to tell me that my bag was too full, and that I would have to check it. I was devastated--this was what I was trying to avoid in the first place--it would cost me over $500 to check this little (but heavy) bag! When I asked about the cost, she told me not to worry--since the lady at the check-in desk had given me a sticker, I was not responsible and they’d check it for free!!! I didn’t need anything in that bag for my flight anyway, and now I wouldn’t have to cart it around all night. I’m telling you, God was totally listening to my little prayers (and my grandma’s--she was up all last night praying!).

I sat in an aisle seat in the very front, with no one in front of me! They ran out of economy class meals, just as they got to my row, so we had first class meals instead (yum!). Really, everything was perfect! And, in true Ariel fashion, I was surrounded by three little girls--all under the age of 3. They were actually pretty good--with only the occasional cry or scream. I am so grateful that everything has turned out perfectly-I couldn't have asked for anything more!

Love you all,

Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment