September 29, 2008

Starbucks and Frank :)

I received some of the best news ever today...Starbucks is coming to Portugal. Granted, the first one is opening about a 20 minute drive from me--and I don't even have a car--but I don't care!! I'm just so excited that Starbucks is coming and I might just get to have some of those famous holiday coffees! I've been dreaming about the Pumpkin Spice and Gingerbread Lattes...Yay! I heard it will be about 5 euros for a tall drink (which comes to about $7) and that's super expensive--so I don't think it'll be something I'll get to do often. Everything is expensive in Portugal! Even one pint of Hagan Daaz ice cream is 8 euros ($11.50)!!!

In other news, I've made a new friend. He is the cutest, sweetest boy I've ever met. He is a blonde with striking blue eyes. He hangs around outside my apartment, and the first time I saw him, my heart melted. Gina won't let me keep him, but we've bonded anyway. His name is Frank, after THE Frank (as in Sinatra). If you haven't guessed by now, he's a dog. And I looooove him. I try to sneak him food--which I know I shouldn't do--but he's always here and I just feel so badly!! I'll try to get a picture of him up here soon--then you'll all understand! He makes my day so much brighter...I know it's ridiculous to try to keep a stray. I don't have the money to take him to the Vet to get his shots or to get his licence. I don't even really have the time to take care of him properly, and there's no way Gina would let me keep something that may pee on the floor. But still! I love him! And I worry about him out there on the streets :( I know, I'm pathetic!! Gina says if I want to feed the hungry, I should feed people. Not dogs. I'm telling her right now (she's sitting next to me as I write this) that she has a heart of ice and stone.

Alright, well, it's already almost 11 here, and I'm feeling pretty exhausted! I'll keep you all posted as things keep on keepin' on.

P.S. Thanks for all the prayers for my brother, Nathanael. He's in Baghdad now, and he's serving as the Chaplain's assistant. This is actually really great--it's one of the safest jobs he could be doing...and also a great opportunity to minister to the other soldiers he's with. So please, keep him in your prayers.

P.P.S. I've divided up my time here into "Yay Portugal Days" and "Nay Portugal Days." Just thought I'd let you all know that I am having many more Yay Portugal Days than Nay. :)

xoxo
Ariel

1 comment:

  1. awww frank sounds cute. i wanna see a picture

    ReplyDelete