September 14, 2008

Mais Fotos!


This is our school library...very small!
New uniforms! They'll start in November...and the kids are not entirely jumping for joy...
Isn't she sooo cute? Her name is Anissa and she's from Nigeria. She has the sweetest accent!


Pastor Carlos, and four of my students--Gaby, Sari Anne, Aisha and Keziah
Parfitt, Shyanna and Tom
Ezri, Gaby and Shyanna
Par, Sari Anne, Aisha and Mercy

Our Director--Elden!

I have survived my first full week of teaching--and more than that, I even kind of enjoyed it! I mean, I'm exhausted beyond anything I've ever experienced--but I feel like this week was successful. It's Sunday morning here, and I'll be heading to church in about a half hour, but I wanted to write a quick note to let you all know that I'm still here!

Classes are going well. We've started reading Romeo and Juliet--which the kids seem to like--in the 9/10 grade English. In 11/12 English, we're starting The Crucible tomorrow--and who doesn't like a good story about the witch trials? Then, in World History, we've been covering the ancient Egyptians, and particularly studying their mummification process...and in Bible, we're talking about King David's beginnings. So, school is definitely in full swing, and I feel like I go non-stop! I teach and then I plan for the next lesson and grade their assignments--and the list goes on! As soon as I feel like I've finished one list, there are five more waiting for me. Anyone who thought teaching was an easy job--hah! So not true.

I'm starting to build relationships with the kids as well. A lot of them come from very broken families and are really hurting. Please pray that I can be for them what they need! I'd ask that you specifically keep one girl, Alexa, in your prayers. She's just got a lot going on at home right now--and it's a really big mess. I can tell she's just really sad and searching for someone--anyone--who will pay her some attention. She's had history of lying a lot in the past, and I think for that reason, the former faculty here was just fed up with her...so I think she needs someone who will listen to her and not judge her for her past actions...so pray that I can do that.

We had our ICSC open house and school picnic yesterday, and I'll post some photos of that on here somewhere. It went really well, and I was able to meet some of the parents of my kids. And one HUGE perk of working at an international school is when you have potluck meals, you get dishes from all over the world---yummmm! REAL Greek and Italian food! It is super good :)

I also got to hang out with Ashely, Stefanie, and Emily again--which is great. I really like them! We went to Lisbon on Friday night to the Chiado--a section of Lisbon where lots of people hang out at night. It was definitely kind of crazy--and I've never felt more European than I did drinking coffee in these little shops with hundreds of other Europeans around me.

Well I've got to get ready to go to church! I've already listened to a Vineyard podcast this morning, and now I'm off to my Portuguese services! Can I just say how much I miss Vineyard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, love you all!

Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment