I am feeling the holiday cheer. Now, I know what you're saying. It's November--not even Thanksgiving yet. And I've already had my fair share of admonitions. But I can't help it. I am a sucker for anything Christmas. From the snow, to the trees, to the lights, to the peppermint mochas--I love it all. And I proudly blare Bing Crosby, The Carpenters, and Andy Williams from my car speakers. I LOVE this time of year (even though, many say it isn't quite this time of year yet). Why only celebrate something you love for one month, when you can enjoy it much, much longer?I wonder why it is that this time of year feels so special. I think it definitely has something to do with being with family and getting to enjoy good food, game nights, classic movies, and just good ol' wholesome fun. But I think what I really love about this time of year is that it feels like magic.
I'm about to turn 25. In fact, I only have 17 days left to be 24. And that's a big scary thing. For some reason, 25 feels way older than 24. But that's a whole other story! So--25. Yes. Old(er). But I love that I can still feel the magic of this time of year. I can still be moved to tears over a beautiful Christmas tree or a holiday Hallmark commercial. This season of Thanksgiving and Christmas--it's magic. Miracles can happen. I believe it. I really do.
And who doesn't want a miracle. Why, I can name 10 right now. Things that I think would be GREAT if it happened. I think we can all do that. It's easy to think...if only...
If only I had...money/friends/a relationship/a house/a car/etc...--fill it in however you wish! We can all think of something that if we only had it--life would be better. Well, that may be true. But know what else is true?
We are so blessed. Today, wherever you are, whatever your circumstances--you are blessed. I am breathing. I have a roof over my head. I have a family and friends who love me. I have a job. I have a car that runs. I have a hope and a future as a daughter of Christ. How can I not be grateful for that??
There are things I cannot control. There are things I want and even think I need. Things that would allow me to get back to Portugal today, or see brokenness restored, or relationships healed. Things that, if they happened, would most definitely be considered miraculous. But I know, despite those things--I'm blessed.
This weekend, Young Life Portugal took their kids on a 24 hour trip. That basically involves 24 hours of chaos and fun. It is EXHAUSTING, and at the end of it, you kinda feel like you might die. Nothing will take it out of you like 20 teens will. But those 24 hours have the potential to change lives. In between the midnight paintball, games, skits, and craziness, there are meaningful conversations that take place. Those kids heard about Jesus this weekend. They had the opportunity to talk about their doubts and questions and problems with adults who love them and care about them and accept them.
That is a blessing. I am so very blessed that those 24 hour trips are part of my life with Young Life. I love that my job will be loving on and hanging out with kids who are looking for purpose. I love that I get to be someone who pours into these kids on a daily basis. I cannot wait to get back to Portugal and reach the kids who are waiting to be reached--and knowing that I get to do that is a blessing.
I'm not there yet. But I'm a firm believer that God does stuff in His perfect timing. When the funds come in, and I'm able to leave for Portugal--it'll be awesome because it'll be the right time to go. And in the meantime, I'm going to count my blessings. Because God is so good to me. Even when it seems chaotic and ridiculous and frustrating and confusing--God is still good. And I'm blessed.
There's a song in Irving Berlin's White Christmas called "Count Your Blessings." It's quite possibly one of my favorite Christmas songs--even though it's not explicitly Christmas. The lyrics are simple and the tune catchy. Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney lull you to sleep--reminding you to count your blessings. We have so much to be grateful for, and God is responsible for that.
We can believe and hope for miracles. I'm not giving up on those! But remember to count your blessings--and always thank the One who loves you so much that He takes joy in heaping those blessings on you.
And here's a little something to hum as you do it...Count Your Blessings
No comments:
Post a Comment