April 25, 2009

And April's almost over....

Well, it's April 25. It's actually a holiday here in Portugal--the Carnation Revolution. On April 25, 1974, Portugal officially became a democracy. I'm not really sure how people celebrate it...but I'm pretty sure people wear carnations--and hey, I like flowers. So what's crazy about April 25 is that it is the end of April. And after April comes May and then June...and then I'll be returning to the States to raise a whole heck of a lot of money!

I can't believe I've been here for almost 9 months. I really love living here. I love what I'm doing--how I'm able to hang out with kids and just be a positive influence in their lives. I love the friends I've made here. I love that it's warm and sunny, and that the beach is just a short walk away. I love that I feel like I'm absolutely where I am supposed to be. All of those things are such a comfort to me--especially right now. Which is just another reason why I'm glad April is almost done--it's been an insane month.

Every Monday night, I get together with some of my other 20-something friends for a weekly dinner. As we eat, we go around the table and say our highs and lows of the week--something we don't all particularly love doing, but is sometimes a bit therapeutic. So, here are my highs and lows of April....

Highs: (because they're more fun to talk about)
  • Big job switch! It's looking like I'm going to be working with Young Life come this fall--and that's so exciting!
  • Gina and I traveled to Spain for our Spring Break--Madrid and Barcelona.
  • My mom and sister came out to visit--and even though I was working while they were here, they were still able to see what my life is like here. And I'm so glad that they can be a part of that. And my mom's spaghetti in Portugal? Love it!
Lows: (because I guess they're kind of inevitable)
  • João and I broke up this past week. I absolutely think this was the right thing to do. But still, break ups are never a fun thing...
High again: (because God's good!)
  • On the same day that João and I broke up, I got a call from my friend Luana. She told me that she and I were going on a trip to Italy next weekend! I've never been to Italy, and really, this is the best timing ever. And it's free--so I can afford it! We leave for Milan next Thursday night...
So that's what's been going on. It's been an insane month, and I do feel exhausted and overwhelmed. But through it all, I feel very secure in my decision to stay here in Portugal. And I'm more confident than ever that God is good and that He must love me...

Love you all,
Ariel


Wyld Life Club...It was egg night. It's like Spoons. But with raw eggs :)

And then they had to run around and crack eggs on each others' backs...they loved it!

Me and Gina in Madrid

Mom and Rachel's visit to Portugal!

1 comment: