November 11, 2008

Whirlwind Wedding Weekend!

Me and Katy!
Laura, Lona and I trying to warm up after the ceremony with some Hot Apple Cider!
All the bridesmaids! Me, Laura, Lona, and Natasha
Family :) We're hanging out in the biggest bed--EVER.
Me and Kat at her bridal shower.

This weekend was a blur! I went back to the states to be my college roommate's maid of honor--and it was so worth it!! But, I'm back in Portugal now, and beyond exhausted. I left Lisbon on Friday morning, arrived in Newark around 2 pm, and gained 5 hours in the process. It was great in that I was able to spend a little time with my family, but I was so tired by bedtime. Of course, though, when I actually laid down, I couldn't sleep. I finally drifted off around 12:30 am and then my body-alarm clock went off at 4 am. So, I got up, and drove 3 hours to Lancaster, PA for Katy's wedding.

It turned out to be so beautiful, and I loved being able to see Katy and Laura. It's hard to live far away from your best friends, so I enjoyed this weekend--as short and whirl-winded as it was--immensely. When the wedding was over on Sunday night, we all cried, quite a bit, when we had to say goodbye. It sucks that I only see them maybe once a year!!

After the wedding, I drove back to NJ--ran a whole bunch of errands on Monday morning and afternoon--and then boarded a plane back to Lisbon. I arrived here this morning. And I have to go back to work tomorrow--which will certainly be interesting! But the truth is, I missed the kids terribly!!

I was telling my dad when he was driving me to the airport to come back here how very surreal everything felt. On one hand, I have my life in NJ. I have fantastic family and friends--a great church family--a whole life that I fit right back into. I know the best places to find bargains and where to get the best coffee and bagels. Everything feels right and comfortable. I was--am--happy with my life there.

But then, on the other hand, I have this life in Portugal. In the short 3 months that I've been here, I've made some amazing friends. I LOVE the kids I teach, and I'm building relationships with them where they trust me and confide in me. I'm able to talk to them about all sorts of things, and really just pour into their lives. I love this life!

It's just so odd to have two completely different lives--and for both of them to feel like me.

When I said goodbye to friends and family to return here, it was easy. Not that I won't miss them--because I will!!! But, I am 1 gazillion percent confident that I am exactly where God wants me to be, and I find such great comfort in that. Despite all the crap that I describe to you involving church and school politics (and don't get me wrong--that stuff does bother me!), I really feel like I'm actually making a difference here. I'm indescribably thankful that I've been given this opportunity--and I am so thankful to all of you for your love and support.

xoxo,
Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment